Optical Systems Engineer
Polaris Sensor Technologies specializes in innovative and demanding research and development projects resulting in one-of-a-kind optical systems. Polaris’s multi-disciplinary teams support customers from concept, design, integration, prototyping, and build to software development, algorithm development, field test, and data analysis. Our culture of innovation and teamwork provides a dynamic and fast-paced environment where motivated individuals can find a variety of projects in which to participate.
Polaris Sensor Technologies is seeking a self-motivated Optical Systems Engineer to build and perform integration and evaluation of electro-optical sensor systems. This position involves significant hands-on laboratory work and interaction with team members during sensor development. Applicants should be confident in laboratory skills involving optical systems integration, assembly, setup, calibration, and operation. A successful applicant is able to work well in teams, is eager to learn, and is able to clearly communicate and document their work.
This position is a full-time position (40 hours per week) in Huntsville, Alabama. Salary is commensurate with applicant’s qualifications and experience.
Candidates must be U.S. citizens and able to obtain a security clearance upon demonstrated need.
• Construct and test electro-optical systems
• Collect and analyze data from electro-optical systems
• Use software tools to evaluate imaging systems (i.e., Python, MATLAB, Mathematica, etc.)
• Use laboratory measurement tools and systems (interferometers, spectrometers, cameras, etc.)
• Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues independently
• Develop, implement, oversee, and participate in basic data collection and/or testing procedures
• Develop comprehensive and detailed reports
Education and Experience Required
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Optical Science, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or a related technical area
• 3 years minimum demonstrated experience in a technical field
Basic Qualifications Required
• The ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written
• Disciplined approach to laboratory work with strong attention to detail
• Good organizational skills
Optional, Desired Qualifications and Experience
• Experience in optical design (i.e., ZEMAX, FRED, etc.)
• Experience in mechanical design
• Experience in hardware systems assembly
• Experience planning and/or performing laboratory tests
• Systems engineering experience