Polaris Sensor Technologies is seeking an Aero-Optics Engineer to support multiple efforts in developing optical instrumentation for integration into hypersonic wind tunnel test facilities. While direct experience with aero-optics instrumentation, wind tunnel testing, or data analysis and modeling would be a plus, we are seeking self-motivated candidates with experience and capability in the areas listed below. This position may involve significant hands-on laboratory work. This position involves interaction with team members and requires experience with optical analysis, including a solid physical optics as well as geometrical optics understanding. Applicants should be confident in laboratory skills involving optical systems integration, assembly, setup, calibration, and operation. A successful applicant is able to work well in teams, is eager to learn, and is able to clearly communicate and document their work.
This position is full-time (40 hours per week) in Huntsville, Alabama. Salary is commensurate with applicant’s qualifications and experience. Polaris offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance and 401k.
Candidates must be U.S. citizens and must be able to obtain a security clearance upon demonstrated need.
- Design, construct, and test optical systems intended to measure aero-optics, optical window effects, and physical optics effects
- Collect and analyze data from the above mentioned systems
- Use software tools to design, evaluate, and modify imaging systems
- Use laboratory measurement tools and systems
- Support testing activities at hypersonic wind tunnel facilities
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues independently
- Develop comprehensive and detailed reports
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Disciplined approach to laboratory work with strong attention to detail
- Good organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Optical Science, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical area
- 5 years minimum demonstrated experience in a technical field
- Optical Design (Zemax)
- Mechanical Design
- Hardware Systems Assembly
- Planning and/or Performing Laboratory Tests
- Systems Engineering