Polaris Sensor Technologies is seeking a self-motivated Optical Engineer to build and perform integration and evaluation of electro-optical sensor systems. This position involved significant hands-on laboratory work and interaction with team members during sensor development. Applicants should be confident in laboratory skills involving optical systems integration, assembly, setup, calibration, and operation. A successful applicant is able to work well in teams, is eager to learn, and is able to clearly communicate and document their work.
This position is full-time (40 hours per week) in Huntsville, Alabama. Salary is commensurate with applicant’s qualifications and experience. Polaris offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance and 401k.
Candidates must be U.S. citizens and must be able to obtain a security clearance upon demonstrated need.
- Collect and analyze data from electro-optical systems
- Use software tools to evaluate imaging systems (i.e. Python, MATLAB, etc.)
- Use laboratory measurement tools and systems (e.g. interferometers, spectrometers, cameras, etc.)
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues independently
- Develop, implement, oversee, and participate in basic data collection and/or testing procedures
- Develop comprehensive and detailed reports
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Disciplined approach to laboratory work with strong attention to detail
- Good organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Optical Science, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical area
- 3 years minimum demonstrated experience in a technical field
- Optical design like ZEMAX and FRED
- Mechanical design
- Hardware systems assembly
- Planning and/or performing laboratory tests
- Systems engineering