Polaris Sensor Technologies is seeking a self-motivated Senior Optical Engineer to conceive, develop, build, test, integrate, and perform evaluation of resulting electro-optical sensor systems. This position involves significant hands-on laboratory work, modeling and simulation, and directing team members during sensor development. Applicants should be confident in laboratory skills involving optical systems integration, assembly, setup, calibration, and operation. A successful applicant is able to work well in teams, is eager to learn, and is able to clearly communicate and document their work. Strong inter-personal skills are required.
This position is full-time (40 hours per week) in Huntsville, Alabama. Salary is commensurate with applicant’s qualifications and experience. Polaris offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance and 401k.
Candidates must be U.S. citizens and must be able to obtain a security clearance upon demonstrated need.
- Understand and develop requirements-based system concepts
- Thorough understanding of physical and geometrical optics, Fourier optics, and wavefront aberration theory
- Construct and test electro-optical systems
- Collect and analyze data from electro-optical systems
- Use software tools to evaluate imaging systems (i.e., Python, MATLAB, Mathematica, etc.)
- Use laboratory measurement tools and systems (interferometers, spectrometers, cameras, etc.)
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues independently
- Develop, implement, oversee, and participate in basic data collection and/or testing procedures
- Develop comprehensive and detailed reports and interact with the customer
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Disciplined approach to laboratory work with strong attention to detail
- Good organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Optical Science, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical area
- 12 years minimum demonstrated experience in a technical field
- Post-graduate degree
- Project lead experience
- Experience in optical design (i.e., ZEMAX, FRED, etc.)
- Experience in mechanical design
- Experience in hardware systems assembly
- Experience planning and/or performing laboratory tests
- Systems engineering experience